All Hands On Deck: Visas in the Time of the Coronavirus

Update 3/21: The Taiwanese authorities are being very generous in granting a 30 day extension to visitors. Use the extra time to secure a job or a more stable visa situation.

More info on the announcement:

An automatic 30-day extension for foreigners entering Taiwan on or before March 21 with visa waiver, visitor visa, or landing visa (no application is required). The total period of stay cannot exceed 180 days. These conditions are subject to change and may be adjusted as circumstances require. For further information, please visit

If you are already overstaying your required departure date, unfortunately this doesn’t apply to you, but check out the latest updates regarding the Expanded Overstayers Voluntary Departure Program.

It’s All Hands on deck time.

Got a month left on your tourist or other visa and weighing your options? With foreign visitor travel into Taiwan suspended as of March 18, making a visa run is currently impossible. Only foreigners with ARCs can enter the country now.
The good news is that healthcare here is probably better than what you’d receive in your home country. So if you want to ride out the coronavirus in Taiwan, here are some tips on what you can do in the current situation.


Who do I contact?

There are various departments you may need to deal with when getting a visa or ARC. If you live in Taipei, here are Taipei office locations for these departments.
Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA)
National Immigration Agency (NIA)
Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA)

If you want to talk to someone directly over the phone, you can call NIA’s foreigner immigration hotline, called the Life Advisory Service Hotline: 0800-024-111.

BOCA maintains a visa inquiry hotline with two numbers: 02-23432885 and 02-23432895.

If you’re getting on the phone, expect a long wait.

3/20 Update: See the overstay section below for more info on today’s leniency policy announcement by BOCA.

I have a tourist visa. Can I get an extension to stay longer?

According to BOCA:Visitor Visa holders who are permitted to stay in Taiwan for sixty or ninety days and whose visas bear no such remark as “no extension will be granted” may apply at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency for a maximum of 120 or 90 days of extensions.” 

For most people this will be better than leaving the country, so check with your local NIA office.

I’ve already extended my visa as many times as I can. Can I get special exemption due to the coronavirus?

According to English translations of March 18’s Public Statement regarding the coronavirus, “foreigners who are already in TW and wish to stay longer, have to provide details of serious medical issues with a relevant letter from a hospital to the authorities”, in order to extend their stay. So this is not looking good for those who want to stay longer.

I didn’t get a visa before I came to Taiwan. Can I stay longer?

03/19 Update: According to people on Facebook, “you can apply for a visitor visa and applications will be considered on a case-to-case basis.

See the image below for more info: Fill out the online application, print the result, and bring it with you to BOCA.
Info on requirements for each type of visa are here.

No photo description available.

If you successfully apply and get a visitor visa, in as much detail as you can give about your situation, please comment below and share the info on social media as widely as possible, so that others know what viable options there are. Please include your nationality in that information.

If you are American or a citizen of another visa-exempt country, and they let you into Taiwan without you doing any paperwork, you most likely do not have a visa. If you are here visa-free, according to BOCA, you probably cannot extend your non-exempt status: “The duration of stay starts from the day after arrival and is not extendable. Foreign visitors must depart by the end of the said duration.” There are exceptions for Canadian and UK passport holders, who are “eligible for the visa exemption program with a duration of stay of 90 days which is extendable up to 180 days“. For more info, please refer to the Notice for British & Canadian Passport Holders Who Enter Taiwan Visa-Free and Apply for an Extension of Stay.

However, if you are here visa-free and cannot extend that status, it may be possible to convert to a visitor visa: “Foreign nationals entering the ROC on a visa exemption may only apply for conversion to a visitor visa within the permitted duration of stay at the Bureau of Consular Affairs (BOCA) or MOFA branch offices in the event of situations that prevent them from leaving the ROC, such as severe acute illness, natural disaster, or other force majeure reason. In addition, white-collar professionals who have obtained a work permit within their permitted duration of stay(Brunei, Philippines, Russia and Thailand are not included) may apply for a work visa together with their spouse and minors (under age 20) who entered the ROC at the same time.

Does the current situation count as force majeure? That’s a governmental decision, and we haven’t yet heard any declaration on this.

Update regarding “Force Majeure”:

We are hearing that people who are trying to convert their exempt status to a tourist visa, are getting denied by MOFA: The current situation does not appear to be a “force majeure situation” in the eyes of the government.

When you go in search of answers to your visa extension inquiries, we recommend that you don’t accept ‘no’ as an answer from the first person who helps you. Politely ask to speak to their manager. If they tell you to go to another office, ask for the reasoning in writing, and ask them to put their employee ID # and name down as well.

Are there other visa options?

If your main focus is staying in Taiwan short-term, hopefully this info is enough. If you don’t see a solution for yourself listed above, you may need to look at other options, though these would take time and paperwork to acquire. These options may include student visas, the looking for work visa, the gold card, or the entrepreneur visa.

Student Visa

Estimated Application Time: Unknown

Cost: Standard Taiwan visa fees (less than USD $60) + tuition fees (varies)

Regarding the rules around student visas, see the details from BOCA here, which state: “Those who enter Taiwan under the visa-exemption program, with a landing visa or a visitor visa for other purposes than “studying Chinese” and those who have already resided in Taiwan for other purposes are not eligible for converting to a visa for the purpose of“studying Chinese” in Taiwan.” So this may not be an option in the current situation.

That being said, contact a Mandarin training center, such as the NTNU MTC, TMI, or TLI, for more information about visa requirements.

Looking for Work Visa

Estimated Application Time: 1 – 2 weeks

Cost: Standard Taiwan visa fees (less than USD $60)

This kind of visa is limited in who can apply for it. A general overview can be found here. Application materials are here. Go to your local BOCA office for more info. We at All Hands have had first-hand experience converting existing ARCs into looking for work ARCs. Go to your local NIA office for more info on converting.

Gold Card

Estimated Application Time: 1 – 2 months

Cost: USD $200 – 400, depending on what country you come from and other factors

There are a few ways to get the Gold Card, some of which require having very specialized experience. The easiest way to apply is via the Ministry of Economics requirements. Check approval method #1: If you earned a salary of more than NT $160K / month in the last three years, you are eligible for the Gold Card. This should be relatively easy for many Canadians and Americans who have professional experience in their home countries. You’ll need a copy of your tax forms that show this information, so a W-2 form if you are American. Be aware that this process can take a long time.

Entrepreneur Visa

Estimated Application Time: 1 month

Cost: Standard visa fees (less than USD $60) + cost of co-working space ( Likely USD $1,000 or more for a year of rental)

The entrepreneur visa was created for the purpose of helping foreigners set up businesses more easily. It allows foreigners to live in Taiwan as they prepare to set up their company. According to government criteria, you must fulfill just one of the eligibility requirements.

Most of these requirements are pretty heavy-duty. However, one option can make getting the visa easy: “4. The business was stationed within one year before the application, or is currently stationed in, an international start-up park or registered under a project approved by the central government or any local government of the Republic of China.

That means you need to work in a government sponsored co-working space. So you’ll have to pay a fee to a co-working space or start-up park, so that they’ll agree to sponsor your visa.

One good option is Futureward . They issued the very first entrepreneur visas, so they have the experience and know-how to help you get through the process. Futureward provides two options for applying for the entrepreneur visa: 

  • Renting a desk at the co-working space
  • Working from home

Pricing varies for these options, so inquire with Futureward for more info. For more approved co-working spaces, see page 2 of this PDF for a list of other government approved co-working spaces.

Who should I contact about visa options?

Contact Futureward about the entrepreneur visa. EZPermit and ProJoy Immigration specialize in helping foreigners with immigration issues. Contact them as soon as possible if your initial contacts with the government don’t bear fruit.

If you want to start a company in Taiwan, 11th Fleet can help you work on your entrepreneur visa or gold card, among other small business services they offer. Check out their website for more info.

What happens if I overstay my required departure date?

3/20 Update: Today BOCA has announced reduced penalties for people who overstay their visa or their non-visa required departure date, and self-report their overstay status.

A quick summary of the policy:

Individuals residing in Taiwan on an expired visa or who have overstayed their visa-exempt departure date who self-report between April 1 and June 6 will be eligible for reduced penalties. Overstayers who surrender themselves to the authorities from March 20 through March 31, the policy promotion period, are also entitled to the same treatment.

To take advantage of this, you’ll need to call the phone number mentioned in the materials during the leniency period and arrange to turn yourself in. We would suggest you get your personal property ready for transit, sold, or otherwise in order before you make this call.

More info on the updated policy can be found on the NIA website.

Promotional material for Taiwan’s visa self-reporting overstay leniency program.

If you are discovered to be overstaying outside of the leniency period, see below for the original penalties as stipulated by law.

Upon discovery on your overstay when exiting Taiwan, if you overstay, depending on how long you stayed in the country, you will have to pay a fine, and will probably be banned from returning to Taiwan for a period of time. There is a low level risk of detention as well.


According to Chinese-language law documents, it appears that the fine for overstaying ranges from around 1000 NTD (if you overstay by an hour) up to a maximum of 10,000 NTD.

<= 10 days: 2000 NTD

11 – 30 days: 4000 NTD

31 – 60 days: 6000 NTD

61 – 90 days: 8000 NTD

> 90 days: 10,000 NTD

Entry Bans

From relevant English documentation on the NIA website:

IV. Any foreign national having overstayed his/her visit, residency, or having worked illegally, shall be banned from entry for a period prescribed below:

  1. Overstaying the visit or residency for under one year, the foreign national shall be banned from entry for one year; overstaying over one year, the foreign national shall be banned from entry for a period equal to the length of the overstay, but the entry ban shall not exceed three years;
  2. Working illegally, the foreign national shall be banned from entry for three years.

If you overstayed < 91 days, are enrolled in Taiwan as a student, or are under 18, you are exempt from the ban:

VI. Any foreign national overstaying his/her visit or residency under any of the following conditions may be exempted from the ban:

a. Having overstayed the visit or residency for less than ninety-one days; however, entry through the visa-waiver or landing visa shall be disallowed for one year;

b. Being under 18 years old;

c. Studying as a student at a public school, or a private or international school registered and established in accordance with the law;

There are additional ban exemptions for having a Taiwanese spouse or child; Check the contents of the law for more info.

Here’s an interesting video about the issue that might be worth your time if you want to understand overstay penalties.


If you cannot afford a ticket or there are no flights to destinations you can go, you may be detained until you or someone else can buy a departure ticket to get you out of Taiwan.

Hopefully it doesn’t get to this point.

About the Authors

Sean Wilson is a Partner at All Hands Taiwan.

Jung Chang is a private financial and immigration consultant.

Antonio Bolanos Casanova Jr. is a research assistant at NCCU (National Chengchi University).


  Comments: 20

  1. Regarding your section on Tourist Visa. Do note that Tourist or Landing visas ARE NOT the same as Visitor Visas.

  2. What options are there for someone who is studying in a public university in Taiwan and his student status is terminated by explosion ? I understand that under normal circumstances, the individual’s ARC will be repealed and has to exit Taiwan within 10 day. In the wake of this coronavirus pandemic, and where there is a flight restrictions to the affected individual’s home country or any other country he/she can legally enter without needing Visa, what alternatives are there for such a person to postponing his immediate exit especially if the person has a plan or working in Taiwan or applying for readmission to continue his studies ?

  3. Taiwanese Passport holder

    So, if i have 10 days from now, and i only have Taiwan passport I don’t even know if I’m Taiwanese or not and i left the place where i lived (because am not from that Country) searching for job in these 10 days Hmmmmm i am so F***ed

  4. I graduated my school last july and i already went back my country. But i want to going back to taiwan. Also my arc will be expire 25/02/2021. Can i inter border of taiwan now??

    • Since you have a valid ARC, you should be able to return to Taiwan. It would be a good idea to contact the nearest TECO office and ask them about any instructions or special circumstances.

  5. My Business Visa will be expiring end of November as my business visa only valid for 90days with no extension granted. Whereas I am waiting for my vietnam business to be approved which will be in mid December before I can fly over to Vietnam.

    I had went to the Ministry of foreign affairs visa division in Taiwan to seek for extension but they didn’t allow it.

    Is there any way for me to extend my visa for just another 2weeks in prior for my vietnam visa to be approved?

    If I chose to overstay for 2weeks, I know the penalty will be 4000Twd to 10,000Twd, but when I arrive to the airport will they detain me and wouldn’t let me depart taiwan?

    • If you overstay by a couple weeks they won’t detain you at the airport, but you might be blocked from returning to Taiwan for a couple years.

      As for the visa extension question, you might want to inquire with Winkler Partners or Taiwan EZPermit.

      • Hi John Murn, do you know of any company or agency in Kaohsiung who I can approach to support my case for Visa extension. I am willing to pay for their services rendered. I only require another 30days of visa extension. With that 30days extension, I would have sufficient time to apply for my vietnam business visa, as vietnam business visa takes 1.5months to get approval.

  6. What happened if you are seaman and are on ship and your visa expaired and go out for wolking?

    • Best practice on an overstay is always to self-report. If you have an agent or if the visa should be handled by your boss, you definitely want to take it up with them to see if they can help you sort it out.

  7. I have a Taiwan passport with personal ID number, would I be able to bring my wife and son (they have U.S. passports) to taiwan by applying a visa?

    • At the moment, the answer is yes to your spouse, and yes to any underage children.
      According to this recent press release from the Bureau Of Consular Affairs ( “foreign nationals may enter Taiwan … when they are the spouse or the underage child of an R.O.C. national”.

      Regarding applying for visas for your dependents, you can review this online help info from BOCA (

      However, as they themselves state, “Applicants outside of the R.O.C. (Taiwan) are advised to apply for the visa from an R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas mission”. This is partly because their local languages skills may be better than that of the Taiwanese office, and partly because they will be more aware of local visa restrictions to Taiwan from your country of residence.

      So you should look for the nearest TECO/TECRO/Taiwan consulate office on Google Maps and give them a call.

  8. hello,
    what happened if i’m overstay 3 days because that time I was still in the process of making a resident visa?

    • As a starting point, I’ll say that it’s never a good idea to overstay and you should look into it as soon as you can (as in, I hope you have been talking to government people about it today). Beyond that, you should inquire with the immigration folks who are working on your (I assume in-progress) resident visa about whether this grants you an extension/immunity from an overstay. It’s possible that your residence visa could be pre-dated and cover this issue. I would hope that someone – should have been you, really – would have noticed this for you and had a conversation about the situation and possible resolutions.

Your feedback